Can foreigners buy a house in the Spanish territory?

Yes, any foreigner can purchase a house in Spain. Nevertheless, there is one difference. In case you are not a Spanish national, you will need to take one extra step prior to the purchase. 

Don’t worry, it is really simple (if not, we can help you out). 

What are we talking about?

The first thing you should do is to get your NIE number. It is the basic identification number that all foreigners must obtain once entering the country. 

Furthermore, we must make a distinction here. Because depending on your country of origin, things change: 

If you are from an European Union country.

If you are from a European Union country, there are two types of NIEs:

  • The temporary NIE number, for those individuals who do not want to live in Spain. For instance, if you are planning to visit the country and realize the purchase, but then leave, this will be the type of ID you will need to request.
  • Conversely, a resident NIE (a permanent one) for those who actually want to.

If you are a non-EU citizen.

On the other hand, let’s say that you are a non-EU citizen. In that case: 

  • You can apply for the Resident NIE number if you are a Spanish resident (if you live in the country more than 183 days per year).
  • Non-resident NIE, if you are not living in Spain but would like to buy a property either way.

Deja un comentario

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *